Deja vu at the thrift store

There I was carrying on a conversation with my daughter as I half-heartedly looked through the vintage/retro section of my fave thrift store.

The stop at the store was to look for a hat for an upcoming spring tea, and - if at all possible - accessories for my 60s era dress that will be worn to this year's RetroRama.

My daughter and I giggled as I pulled items out of the crowded clothes rack so we could guess at their approximate era. Bright purple satin jumpsuit? Late 1970s disco. Brown polyester shirt with white topstitch trim? 1970s. Black dress with gigantic sleeves in a contrasting color? Mid 1980s.

Suddenly I spied a brown crushed velvet dress with sequin trim at the vee-neckline. While my daughter exclaimed "Ugh! is that ever ugly. It must be a hippie dress from the 1960s!", I began laughing.

You see, two weeks ago I had donated that exact dress to a local non-charity organization. I knew it was mine because 1) it was sewn 2) it was unhemmed and 3) it's documented on my sewing blog. I can assure you that dress did not cost me $14.95 to create...which was it's price tag.

And no, it was not a hippie dress from the 1960s. It was my almost finished Butterick 4948 dress. Nice to know they thought it was worth $14.95.Deja vu at the thrift store

0 comments:

Post a Comment